STEPS to CERTIFY
Steps to certify a passivhaus home:
Learn about the steps to follow to certify your home: a laborious process that requires effort and dedication but assures a guarantee of the quality of the building construction.
In the preliminary project phase, preproject, the passivhaus architect-designer and the certifier carry out a first review of the initial initial design. In the preliminary scheme the design and its components are optimized.
- In the pre-project phase, the certifier provides recommendations to facilitate the design of the Passivhaus building
Development of the project (Basic and Execution detailed project), with the definition of the characteristics of the thermal envelope, windows, study of thermal bridges, airtightness and installations. All this reflected in the exact calculation with PHPP energy simulation.
- A first verification of the certification is carried out with a first report of results and some indications
- After the report, the design indications are adapted and the details are reviewed
- A second verification of the certification is carried out with a second report with the improvements achieved.
Execution of construction works and control of the Passivhaus project with detailed monitoring throughout the process. At the end of the works, it is necessary to carry out the blower door test that ensures that the house does not have air leaks. Although it is true that only one is required at the end of the work, it is best to carry out a preliminary test once the sealing layer is finished, which allows any incident to be resolved in time.
Once the construction works is finished, a second and final blower door test is carried out.
When the work is finished, a complete summary analysis is carried out in the “final documentation” which includes: the specifications of the products used, adjustment and balancing protocol of the ventilation system, tightness test and the declaration of responsibility for the work.
- The architect prepares the final documentation after the construction works: tests with the final results obtained, final analysis and photographs of the execution of the critical points.
- The final documentation (execution and measurement report) is presented to the certifier for a final approval.
- A short “instruction of use document” for the owner/user is prepared
- If everything is correct, the Final Certification is issued and the results are published
The importance of the passivhaus certifier, quality assurance.
In a Passivhaus house project, in addition to the figure of the project architect, the role of the Passivhaus certifier is required.
As an external and independent agent to the project, the certifier verifies that the project complies with the standard in the design. Similarly, it checks that the building has been completed as it was detailed and specified.
Both the design and the final checkout are accurately reflected in a PHPP model.
Therefore, a certifier is a guarantee of the final quality of the construction according to the original design.
In any kind of construction works: traditional with brick, wood construction… efficiency comes first